Walk on #iste12

Written at the airport on my ipad (so I may not have links to everything in my post.)

Yesterday, after my daughter did her part in Sylvia Martinez's incredible Birds of a Feather about attracting more girls to STEM fields, we were trekking back to the Embassy Suites. She kept asking me how she did as if one answer wouldn't suffice, she was seeking more affirmation.
It struck me that this is what I do after every presentation and told her so. My advice to her was this:

"After I present, I want to feel like the pouring out of my heart and all my energy to an audience meant something but the fact is, you have to know you did your best, learn from your mistakes, and walk on. You can't keep revisiting it, because it is in the past."

At a conference like ISTE when you give all you have and have nothing left you want to feel it meant something. There's also an overwhelming feeling that you missed something. The fact is, you did miss something - if you look at you, you missed almost everything because you could be only in one place at a time.
Advice:
Pick your big three.
What three things are you going to do next? Write them down NOW. (Tag them #istebig3 and I'll share in an upcoming post) Schedule a time to explore, do, or research those three things. THIS WEEK. No excuses. Otherwise your #iste12 becomes a memory but no action.
Walk on.
If you presented, it is likely you gave all you had to give. That is enough. If it will make you feel better, write down 3 things you'll improve upon the next time you present. Then, WALK ON. You've got things to do tomorrow, next week, and beyond that are IMPORTANT. You are IMPORTANT. Your life matters and you matter. Each of you is just as important as any keynote speaker or presenter. Don't be in awe of their life and wish you had it - be in awe of your life and use your talents to make your life better.

The #iste12 organizers deserve our appreciation. I owe ISTE a lot. It was the SIG Online Learning award that first had Julie Lindsay and I meet in Atlanta in 2007 (?). I met Anita McAnear that year and wondered why she would even have time to be kind to a rank and file conference attendee like me. Then I realized that she is just an incredible person who has worked very hard these many years. Thank you Anita.
Thank you.
I'm about to board a flight to Phoenix and I'm struck with gratefulness. Publishers and advertisers and whoever talk to me because of YOU. When you say hello to me and smile - it means a lot. When you say "thank you for writing and helping me" it keeps me writing.
I had a wonderful person come up with a friend and say
"She reads your tweets and I read your blogs. I like your long blog posts the best and read every one of them."
It just confirmed my strategy to share and help people where they are and where they want to share. Whether you are a new reader or an old reader, thank you for conversing with me and being here. I'm very grateful and don't take the responsibility lightly.

#iste12 was great and now off to a family wedding. I'll see you online. Walk on!

Scattered through this post are just a few of the pictures of my time in San Diego. We got here early and rode Segways, went to the Zoo and we went sea kayaking with a big ISTE group on Sunday thanks to Anne Truger's planning. (I learned a lot too!)
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:E Harbor Dr,San Diego,United States

Popular Posts